I’m learning a lot about gut health and the ways it relates to Anxiety and the message is clear – we need to be eating more fermented foods.
Sauerkraut is an easy addition to any diet, it’s perfect as a condiment or as a snack by itself. There are heaps of recipes out there and they’re all pretty much a variation of the same thing. Here’s the way I’ve been making mine.
1 large green or red cabbage
2 cloves garlic minced*
2 tablespoons Himalayan salt – not iodised
1 teaspoon dried chilli flakes*
*The garlic and chilli are both optional and won’t change the outcome if you leave them out but they do add a nice kick your ‘kraut.
1. Finely shred cabbage in food processor or slice finely by hand
2. Place cabbage in large plastic or glass bowl
3. Add all other ingredients to cabbage bowl
4. Squeeze and massage ingredients into cabbage. The mix will become very wet and will reduce in size by at least 2/3. Keep massaging for 5 minutes and until a lot of juice is created.
5. Pack cabbage mix tightly into glass mason jar. Pressing firmly between layers to ensure very little air is trapped. Fill glass mason jar until packed 3cm from top.
6. Pour cabbage juice over packed cabbage in jar. Fill liquid until 1 centimeter from top.
7. Screw lid tightly on jar
8. Sit in warm and dry position for 4 days. Each day release the lid of the jar briefly to let built up fermentation air to escape.
9. On day 5 refrigerate and start eating!